Wednesday 24 January 2018

When life becomes overwhelming

I have been thinking a lot lately about the tragedy of suicide. I noticed a book on Instagram that Jenny of Elefantz was reading before Christmas. It was a new publication written by Sheila Walsh called In the Middle of the Mess: Strength for this Beautiful Broken Life and sounded like just the book I would like to read. At that stage it wasn't released in Australia so I ordered it from the UK and it arrived just after Christmas.  I didn't know and I am sure many of my readers wouldn't know that Sheila has been plagued by suicidal thoughts for many years.



 On the same day as the book arrived in the mail I had just been to the library where I borrowed three of her books so I was well stocked up with Sheila Walsh books for a few weeks. Firstly I started reading Loved Back to Life where she describes when, as the co-host of the TV Show The 700 Club, it all became too much for her one day and she suddenly left the show and drove herself to a psychiatric hospital where she remained for a month.




Over the years she has had to deal with the repercussions of her loving Dad suddenly suffering from  an aneurysm in his brain in his early thirties which completely changed his personality and his attitude towards her and resulted in him being taken away to an 'asylum' as mental health hospitals were called then. He escaped and was found dead not long after.  





It is a fascinating book as is her new one and it gives an insight into how a person thinks who has depression and suicidal thoughts. Sheila was eventually diagnosed with clinical depression and was put on medication which may be a long term solution to balance the lack of serotonin in her brain.




I would recommend her books to those who are caring for someone suffering from depression as it can be hard to understand especially when many people on the outside look like they are so happy and confident but inside are slowly dying and in some cases may end up taking their own life.




Recently I was approached by Better Help asking if it was okay to link to a particular post on my blog. I hadn't heard of them before and that may be because it is a US website but there is some good information on there if you would like to become more informed about particular mental health challenges and there is an especially interesting section on depression.


I still haven't finished reading Sheila's new book but since I started I have been rocked by the suicide of little 14 year old 'Dolly' Everett at the beginning of the month. She was targeted online by bullies and couldn't face the future. What an absolute tragedy!





Just after that  I was told that the adult son of an old friend from back in the 1970s had also taken his own life this month. Once again I was gobsmacked. Both these young people were surrounded by loving family members which makes the whole issue of suicide even harder to understand.


Perhaps if you suffer from depression, or have a friend or family member who does, it might help to contact an organisation such as Beyond Blue if you are an Aussie or Better Help and NAMI if in the US and I am sure there are mental health organisations in most other countries as well. Kay and Rick Warren also lost their son, Matthew, and there are lots of good mental health resources on Kay's website Kay Warren.






You can also find resources for carers on Mental Health Carers ARAFMI. They have offices in each state and I am not sure about other Australian states but in Queensland there is a support line 24/7 for carers as we all know that mental health issues in family members don't arise just between office hours. :-)

I hope and pray that sufferers and carers can come through the gloom of those sad days and be able to step out eventually into a beautiful sunset.















26 comments:

  1. depression is hard & most are in denial; i tried suicide when i was young, felt so stupid afterwards; my dad lectured me for months too, it's not an easy way out especially if it doesn't work.
    it is becoming a huge problem & just seems to be getting worse.
    sorry to hear about your friends loss
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina I am pleased your suicide attempt wasn't successful. What a loss that would have been. Yes it is a major problem these days and I don't think social media helps the young ones unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. I'm so thankful there is more info readily available to help loved ones--and people who can offer support and real help to those under such an unbearable burden. At least people can talk about mental health issues today and not brush it under the rug or ignore it. Maybe God wants to use you, Nana Chel, to touch someone's life. Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. For many years I was a local co-ordinator of a carer's support group and it was amazing to learn how widespread mental health problems are as most people are too embarrassed to talk about it. I think we all need to acknowledge that our brains can get sick like other parts of our body can. Thankfully the culture is changing but ever so slowly for those who are suffering.

      Delete
  3. I know several people who committed suicide and have seen how their parents suffered. It's so tragic. I read about the little girl who committed suicide due to bullying.
    I think many don't realize how devastating mental health problems can be. Like you said the culture is changing and there is more understanding about mental health problems, but it's happening very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, I think those who have lost hope feel everyone would be better off without them. If only they could foresee the heatbreak of friends and family.

      Delete
  4. I've thought about this post for a good day and a bit now, Chel. My husband lost his best mate to suicide, just before I met him. Although he rarely speaks of it, the pain of that loss is there in the little and ordinary treasure my husband keeps as a reminder of his dear friend. The loss of all hope, and belief that there is nothing to look forward to in life, is so devastating for those who suicide and then there is the anguish of those left to grieve.

    Mental wellbeing is a huge issue in our communities, our neighbourhoods and our families. I think our nation, as a whole, needs to do so much more to support good mental health and to support those struggling to find wellness. In relation to young people in particular, I would like to mention the resources that the not-for-profit organisation, Generation Next, has available. I have attended two of their seminars but they have excellent online resources and two books have recently been published. They deal with some sobering and confronting topics but they also focus on strategies and habits that support mental wellbeing in young people and that offer hope. Meg Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning Generation Next, Meg. I will look them up as I hadn't heard of them.

      Delete
    2. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/debunking-myths-the-mind/201802/eight-ways-counteract-dreary-day

      Just read this article and wanted to pass it on. For the harder days. Xxx

      Delete
  5. Nanna Chel,
    I've had nieces & nephews who have attempted suicide or threatened and an uncle who committed suicide. Mental health is a real hard issue for most to understand. At least now it's openly discussed and not hushed up like it used to be, or the sufferers told they are just being 'drama queens' and get over it. Today's society is slowly understanding that depression is a real thing. I read about Dolly, which was tragic.
    -Shiralee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiralee, I don't think there are too many families who haven't been touched by mental illness. So sorry to hear of the sadness your family has gone through.

      Delete
  6. I think that most of us now know at least one person who has suffered from Clinical Depression and the far reaching consequences and impacts on family and friends. It is so sad that often attempted suicide is part of the scenario. Hopefully more openness and frankness about this disease and suicide will provide more solutions. Well done Chel in being prepared to talk publicly about it. Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline. People who suffer mental health problems have enough to deal with without feeling shame as well so the more people talk about the issue and try to help the better off families and friends will be.

      Delete
  7. Dear Nanna Chel,

    Thank you for this post. I know exactly what you are talking about as we have a family member suffering severe depression at the moment. It is going to be a long road back, but we are hopeful that all is going to be okay. This particular family member had sought help through beyond blue and was having counselling but it seemed to make matters worse and he almost reached the point of no return. Thankfully he is still with us and now seeking help by another avenue.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, that is no good about Beyond Blue. I have had no dealing with them. Hopefully your family member will get the needed help elsewhere. I can recommend family members seeking out a support group like ARAFMI so they know they are not alone.

      Delete
  8. Chel I need to comment but I can't find the words, so thank you for sharing this very important blog post, and thank you to all who above who have commented. I'm fortunate that my immediate family is not affected by this awful affliction, but I have empathy for those who do. Our world is so very cruel sometimes. Other countries have varying ways of prevention and treatment that are showing to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally it is very difficult for families especially those who have no knowledge of mental health problems in their family as they have no idea in the beginning of what they are dealing with and where to go to get help.

      Delete
  9. Important subject Chel, and good on you for speaking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More education is needed about mental health, Nanette. Thankfully now many schools are on the lookout for problems showing up in their teenage students as often that is when symptoms begin.

      Delete
  10. I don't usually follow the news, so am not familiar with the story you reported. It stills sounds terribly tragic from the brief you gave though. My daughter is presently 14, and has to deal with the changes that come with growing up, peers, and not fully comprehending the future.

    My husband and I, have both had family members commit suicide. It happens out of the blue. Luckily they weren't close relatives (like in Shiela's case, her father) but still close enough to know they are missing now, for what seems like no good reason. Shiela was brave enough to recognise she needed help, early. While most take it, as just part of life. They don't recognise they need help.

    Thanks you for raising such an important issue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, Dolly was a boarder at Scots/PGC in Warwick but her family lives in the NT. I felt so sorry for her family who are understandably heartbroken. I wish your girl all the best with negotiating the teen years. Social media just seems to be so powerful these days and something I didn't have to deal with when I was growing up.

      Delete
    2. That is so sad. But for the grace of God...

      Delete
  11. Mental Health and Suicide are both topics that need to be openly talked about in society and de-stigmatised. Having had both personal experience of both within family and friends and worked in the Mental Health field, I am still staggered by the amount of stigma attached to mental health, especially in the work place. It is no wonder employees are reluctant to tell their employers that they need a "mental health" day off - they are fearful of the impact that could have on their job. It's ok to talk about your cold, broken limb, cancer, but not mental health - in this area, we are so backward. Cheers Lyndie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stigma is still alive and well as you say, Lyndie. So sad!

      Delete
  12. It's a horrible head space to be in, Nana Chel. In my teens I attempted suicide twice - by the grace of God I was spared. But even today, at 58, depression comes over me and suicidal desires surface...it's a horrible, horrible thing. But the Lord carries me, because I let Him. I tell myself "this too will pass" as I call to mind the scores of times this darkness has lifted to light, and these past few years have been able to step back and not make any stressful decisions during those seasons.
    My 24 yo daughter also battles this kind of depression. You know, we both adore Jesus, we love our families...but depression is mindless of that.

    Hugs
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound a lot like Sheila Walsh, Jenny. It must be such a struggle during those dark times. Big hugs.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...